Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Proud

Something has just occured to me. I did not choose to be born in Alberta, it just happened. I don't necessarily agree with everything Alberta does. In the past few weeks these have been my fall back excuses whenever someone in Quebec would make a joke about us cowboys and our oil. Today, I finally realized something. Although both these "excuses" are true, they are not at all what I should have been saying. They convey the message that I'm embarrased or ashamed to be Albertan.

I did not choose to be born in Alberta, it's true, but I'm ecstatic that I was. I couldn't be prouder of who I am, and of where I live. For everything the Alberta government does that I don't agree with, there are multiple others that make me so happy to live in Alberta.

It doesn't matter what other people think of your province, as long as you don't let their attitudes change who you are and what you think of where you live. Now that I've realized this I believe I can apply it not only to me living in Alberta, but also to me living in Canada while I'm abroad. There will be no letting people make me upset or ashamed of where I live, only my own patriotism and pride to be Canadian

xoxo
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment